Ads

This site may use cookies, third-party analytics or an advertising service. By continuing to use this site you are consenting to this use.

This advertising service is crucial to keeping all of my patterns offered for free.

Monday, April 9, 2012

The "Fat Bag"...Even Fatter! My new favorite purse!

Ever since I first learned to crochet I have seen pictures of this awesome purse that I knew I wanted to make, unfortunately when I went to find the pattern I found a chart or instructions in a language I don't understand. Luckily after some searching I found this great tutorial by Bend Beanies on how to make the "Fat Bag".



Original design "Fat Bag" by Samanta Maragno

CLICK on the image to make it bigger
The chart is the original design, "Bend Beanies" edited the pattern by adding extra rows. The first one I made I made was according to Bend Beanies edits. I was happy with it but I personally like a very deep purse and I felt like my stuff was going to fall out of it if I bent down so I sat down and figured out how to make it the way I want it. I sketched it out and worked it up and I am extremely happy with the results. The first day I was wearing it I was at JoAnns and got complimented by some fellow crocheters in the yarn isle!


One thing that I think made my purse pop was that I used 2 different ombre yarns. Both were Lily's Sugar and Cream and both had 2 common colors. (shades named Moondance & Beach Ball Blue) I switched the yarns after every 2 rows. The common colors of these 2 yarns were white and light blue. I highly recommend using Sugar and Cream because they have a great selection of self striping/ombre yarns and the stiffness the cotton provides is perfect for this purse. I added a few rows of just white cotton in the middle rows of the strap so it has colored "borders".

The changes I made are simple, normally you start by working 5 hdc on each side of the increase and stop increasing at 18 on each side. With my edit you start with 7 on each side of the increase and stop increasing at 24 on each side. The other change I made is that when you are working the straps you work some decreases.



Ravelry page for this fatter fat bag - Add it to your library!

Fatter "Fat Bag"

H Hook
Uses approx. 350 yards, it depends on how long and wide you make the straps

sl st= slip stitch
sts=stitches
st=stitch
sc= single crochet
hdc= half double crochet
hdc2tog= half double crochet decrease
hdc increase= 2 hdc's into one stitch

All turning chain 2 count as a hdc

Chain 23
hdc into the 3rd chain from the hook, hdc in next 6 sts., 2 hdc in next st., hdc in next 5, 2 hdc in next st, hdc in next 7
ch 2, hdc in next 7 sts., 2 hdc in next st., hdc in next 5, 2 hdc in next st, hdc in next 8 sts, turn
ch 2, hdc in next 8 sts., 2 hdc in next st., hdc in next 5, 2 hdc in next st, hdc in next 9 sts, turn
ch 2, hdc in next 9 sts., 2 hdc in next st., hdc in next 5, 2 hdc in next st, hdc in next 10 sts, turn
ch 2, hdc in next 10 sts., 2 hdc in next st., hdc in next 5, 2 hdc in next st., hdc in next 11 sts, turn
ch 2, hdc in next 11 sts., 2 hdc in next st., hdc in next 5, 2 hdc in next st, hdc in next 12 sts, turn
ch 2, hdc in next 12 sts., 2 hdc in next st., hdc in next 5, 2 hdc in next st, hdc in next 13 sts, turn
ch 2, hdc in next 13 sts., 2 hdc in next st., hdc in next 5, 2 hdc in next st, hdc in next 14  sts, turn
ch 2, hdc in next 14 sts., 2 hdc in next st., hdc in next 5, 2 hdc in next st, hdc in next 15 sts, turn
ch 2, hdc in next 15 sts., 2 hdc in next st., hdc in next 5, 2 hdc in next st, hdc in next 16  sts, turn
ch 2, hdc in next 16 sts., 2 hdc in next st., hdc in next 5, 2 hdc in next st, hdc in next 17 sts, turn
ch 2, hdc in next 17 sts., 2 hdc in next st., hdc in next 5, 2 hdc in next st, hdc in next 18  sts, turn
ch 2, hdc in next 18 sts., 2 hdc in next st., hdc in next 5, 2 hdc in next st, hdc in next 19 sts, turn
ch 2, hdc in next 19 sts., 2 hdc in next st., hdc in next 5, 2 hdc in next st, hdc in next 20  sts, turn
ch 2, hdc in next 20 sts., 2 hdc in next st., hdc in next 5, 2 hdc in next st, hdc in next 21 sts, turn
ch 2, hdc in next 21 sts., 2 hdc in next st., hdc in next 5, 2 hdc in next st, hdc in next 22 sts, turn
ch 2, hdc in next 22 sts., 2 hdc in next st., hdc in next 5, 2 hdc in next st, hdc in next 23 sts, turn
ch 2, hdc in next 23 sts., 2 hdc in next st., hdc in next 5, 2 hdc in next st, hdc in next 24 sts, turn
Work hdc across in each stitch for 24 rows (you can add extra rows if you would like)
ch 2, hdc in next 23 sts, hdc2tog, hdc in next 5 sts., hdc2tog, hdc in next 24 sts, turn
ch 2, hdc in next 22 sts, hdc2tog, hdc in next 5 sts., hdc2tog, hdc in next 23sts, turn
ch 2, hdc in next 21 sts, hdc2tog, hdc in next 5 sts., hdc2tog, hdc in next 22 sts, turn
ch 2, hdc in next 20 sts, hdc2tog, hdc in next 5 sts., hdc2tog, hdc in next 21 sts, turn
ch 2, hdc in next 19 sts, hdc2tog, hdc in next 5 sts., hdc2tog, hdc in next 20 sts, turn
ch 2, hdc in next 18 sts, hdc2tog, hdc in next 5 sts., hdc2tog, hdc in next 19 sts, turn
ch 2, hdc in next 17 sts, hdc2tog, hdc in next 5 sts., hdc2tog, hdc in next 18 sts, turn
ch 2, hdc in next 16 sts, hdc2tog, hdc in next 5 sts., hdc2tog, hdc in next 17 sts, turn
ch 2, hdc in next 15 sts, hdc2tog, hdc in next 5 sts., hdc2tog, hdc in next 16 sts, turn
ch 2, hdc in next 14 sts, hdc2tog, hdc in next 5 sts., hdc2tog, hdc in next 15 sts, turn
ch 2, hdc in next 13 sts, hdc2tog, hdc in next 5 sts., hdc2tog, hdc in next 14 sts, turn
ch 2, hdc in next 12 sts, hdc2tog, hdc in next 5 sts., hdc2tog, hdc in next 13 sts, turn
ch 2, hdc in next 11 sts, hdc2tog, hdc in next 5 sts., hdc2tog, hdc in next 12 sts, turn
ch 2, hdc in next 10 sts, hdc2tog, hdc in next 5 sts., hdc2tog, hdc in next 11 sts, turn
ch 2, hdc in next 9 sts, hdc2tog, hdc in next 5 sts., hdc2tog, hdc in next 10 sts, turn
ch 2, hdc in next 8 sts, hdc2tog, hdc in next 5 sts., hdc2tog, hdc in next 9 sts, turn
ch 2, hdc in next 7 sts, hdc2tog, hdc in next 5 sts., hdc2tog, hdc in next 8 sts, turn
ch 2, hdc in next 6 sts, hdc2tog, hdc in next 5 sts., hdc2tog, hdc in next 7 sts
fasten off and weave in the ends

I had an old Ed Hardy scarf that I was able to upcycle it and use it to line my purse, which I think is a great compliment to the other colors.

Lining the purse:
I highly recommend lining this purse, you don't have to but I think you should.
The Bend Beanies tutorial is great for lining the purse and starting the band and straps so use that. They provide lots of pictures and a great detailed explaination. But remember that you want to really squoosh the piece together and do the first band row (working into the turning chains) tightly.. the tighter the more the pleats will stand out. Their directions are correct..do not do that row loosely! So pop over there and then once your ready to do the first row on the straps (after you've done the chains) you can follow the direction below.

After you've worked up the "band" and started the straps by working the chains and now you're back to where you first attached the yarn for the straps.
Find the 5 stitches that were worked in the middle between the increases/decreases and mark the stitches next to them so you can use these 5 stitches as a reference for the center.
sc around in each stitch
decrease, sc, decrease into the 5 stitches between the markers
3 decreases centered above the markers
2 decreases centered above the markers
1 decrease centered above the markers
sc around in each stitch
sc around in each stitch
If you want super wide straps than do more rows of sc
fasten off and weave in the ends :)

My colorful Fat Bag!

26 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooops!!! Thanks so much for pointing out that typo!! I changed it :)

      Delete
  2. Woo hoo...ok where did i set that hook down?? LOL thanks so much I will be starting this soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is the chain 2 meant to be worked into because on row 2, its left out like an extra stitch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not quite sure what you mean by that..? I'm happy to help further explain. :)

      The chain 2 after turning counts as a the first hdc in the row...the hdc count on either side of the increases or decreases are the same. So if you ch 2,6 hdc, increase,5 hdc in the middle, increase, then work 7 hdc. Because the ch 2 counts as an hdc there would be 7 hdc on either side of the increase. If you have made the original fat bag before it works up the exact same way. If you check out the chart...the stitch counts aren't the same but you will still be able to see how each ch 2 is worked as an hdc.

      Delete
    2. This bag has a great shape. Have you tried doing it in wool and felting it?

      Delete
  4. Got it. Thanks. It was my miscounting..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi. This looks great. Thanks for listing the yardage. Could you list the approximate dimensions? Maybe tell us how much it holds? Does it hold a kindle? An ipad? etc. Yours turned out so well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :) I wish I had an ipad to test it out with! :) But I'm sure it would fit one in there easily, its about 32 around at the widest point about 16 inches if your just measuring from one side to the other and about 13 inches tall. Hope this helped :)

      Delete
  6. Do you know approx how much material one would use for this sized bag?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for this pattern! It came out beautifully :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I went to the Bend Beanies site for the banding and didn't get it. Are you folding the bag in half lenghtwise then sc on the edge of the sides???Sorry might be a dumb question...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi,

    In UK so need to clariy that these are US stitches and would need to be converted to UK.

    Thanks x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've made two of these bags now (1 for my sister-in-law, one for my younger sister) and they were a huge hit! I absolutely love them! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ok I'm no purse making expert. Are these instructions for the whole bag or one side? I'm stupid when it comes to making crochet things:-) .

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is great. I'm working on it right now well the straps anyway. It isnt as big as i was hoping it would be. Thinking ill do it again and use a bigger hook. (That should solve my problem) Thank You so much for the pics and the great tutorial! I really love this and have been looking for a pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh THANK YOU! I love this bag, but had the same problem you did....can't read a pattern to save my life...or any language but English! THANK YOU! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the pattern; however I am half way don and the bag is very small. Are you sure I was to start with a chain of 23?? I have watched you tube videos of most productions of this bag and the start with at least 60-72 chain stitch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you look at the regular pattern on Bend Babies, you can see in the picture that it increases from the first chain.

      Delete
  15. Same as you I seen the diagrams and pattern but couldnt read it. I need to take a chart class on craftsy. Thank you so much for this pattern. Its going on my hook right now. :-)
    ~Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  16. background is pretty on ur page but makes it very hard to read anything

    ReplyDelete
  17. Is there a video tutorial for this? I'm still learning and better with visual.

    ReplyDelete
  18. "decrease, sc, decrease into the 5 stitches between the markers
    3 decreases centered above the markers
    2 decreases centered above the markers
    1 decrease centered above the markers"
    Does this mean to sc in each stitch around after the decreases or do the decreases and turn right after that to do another roe of decreases on top of that..? It's a bit confusing...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi, I am wondering how you got the look of the bag shown in the raverly site with the mainly reddish look.

    I like the way it looks compared to the more stripped look or the mainly blotchy look.

    Did you use two strands of variegated held together?

    Thanks much. Pat

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for your pattern I'll be trying this very soon

    ReplyDelete