Ads

This site may use cookies, third-party analytics or an advertising service. By continuing to use this site you are consenting to this use.

This advertising service is crucial to keeping all of my patterns offered for free.

Friday, March 30, 2012

Spider Web Slouchy Hat




When life gives you lemons, you make lemonade right? Well I've been feeling a little sick this week so while I was letting my body rest I kept my mind and hands busy. I made 3 hats and 2 of them are my own creations. I will take some pictures of the other ones and post them asap. They came out really awesome, luckily when I'm just messing around I usually write down the steps just in case.


Pretend that the ring is closed, I tried on the hat and took this before I finished off and it ended up being the best picture of it with my crappy camera.

This hat would be good for a spring or summer hat. Who says hats are supposed to be "warm"? I recently was making Red Hearts free pattern for the Lighthearted top (It's hibernating right now) and a friend said that it looked like a spider web and that it looked really cool. I got to thinking that it would be cool to make a light airy beret with a web type pattern...and this hat was born!



Crochetpatterncentral.com picked up this pattern and added it to their library :)


The band measures 22 inches around. If that is too small for you than you than in the "decrease round" work 16 sc between each sc2tog instead of 13.

It is a very flexible pattern and you can easily see how you could add more rows onto the pattern before you work the decrease rounds.


Spider Web Slouch

Add this hat to your Ravelry library!


G Hook
Worsted weight yarn

Stitches used:
ch - chain
slst - Slip stitch
sc - single crochet
sc2tog - single crochet 2 together (decrease)
dc - double crochet
dc2tog - dc 2 together (decrease)
** Repeat around

You need to know how to make an adjustable ("magic") ring.

Note: You will need to go into the top of the dc's from the previous round.
Do not work the chains too tightly, your piece will end up smaller than the intended size. You want the hat to have stretch and flow to it so don't make stiff tight chains. Since chains  form most of the hat if you are a  tight crocheter than you might want to go up a hook size!!

I cannot stress enough that how tight you make your chains will determine the size. If it is too small keep increasing stitches before you start the decrease! Each yarn will be slightly different so please be prepared to improvise steps if your is too tight/loose. Unfortunately because of the variables I cannot be held responsible for some hat coming out smaller/larger. Please use your best judgement. 

- Make an adjustable ring
- ch 3, work 11 dc into the ring, join with a sl st
- Ch 4 (for 3 chains will count as first dc here and throughout), *dc into the top of the next dc, ch 1, dc into same st, ch 1, dc into the top of next dc, ch 1.*  Slst into the 3rd chain of starting chain (you will do this at the end of every round here and throughout)
- Ch 5, *dc into top of dc from previous round, ch 2.* Slst into the 3rd chain.
- Ch 6, *dc into top of dc from previous round, ch 3.* Slst into the 3rd chain.
- Ch 7, *dc into top of dc from previous round, ch 4.* Slst into the 3rd chain.
- Ch 8, *dc into top of dc from previous round, ch 5.* Slst into the 3rd chain.
- Ch 9, *dc into top of dc from previous round, ch 6.* Slst into the 3rd chain.
- Ch 10, *dc into top of dc from previous round, ch 7.* Slst into the 3rd chain.
- Ch 11, *dc into top of dc from previous round, ch 8.* Slst into the 3rd chain.
- Ch 12, *dc into top of dc from previous round, ch 9.* Slst into the 3rd chain.

This is where you will start decreasing. If it seems a little too small still just keep increasing! Theres no major rhyme or reason to the pattern of decreasing back down so don't get intimidated that there wont be exact steps. Use the information at hand to guide you. This pattern was designed to be something you can easily adjust to size.

- Ch 11, *dc into top of dc from previous round, ch 8.* Slst into the 3rd chain.
- Ch 10, *dc into top of dc from previous round, ch 7.* Slst into the 3rd chain.
- Ch 8, *dc into top of dc from previous round, ch 5.* Slst into the 3rd chain.
- Ch 7, *dc into top of dc from previous round, ch 4.* Slst into the 3rd chain.
- Ch 4, dc in same stitch, *ch 2, dc in next dc from previous round, ch 1 dc in the top of same dc* at end of round ch 2 and sl st into the 3rd chain
- Ch 1, sc in next 13 stitches (chains count as stitches), *sc2tog, sc in next 13 stitches* sc in remaining sts, sl st in first sc to join
- Ch 1, sc in each stitch around, sl st in first sc to join
- Repeat last round 3 more times. (you can work less or more rounds depending on how wide you want the band to be)
Make sure your ring is pulled tight. Weave in the ends



I am so amazed by the feedback and attention this hat got, quite a confidence boost for a newbie :) Thank you guys so much and I'm really glad that so many of you enjoy this pattern!






63 comments:

  1. About how many yards/meters of yarn does it use? It's a really awesome looking pattern, I gotta make sure I have enough of the yarn I want to use. Congrats on writing a pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! :) It's a little difficult for me to say exactly how much because I used a stash yarn (leftover from a 6 oz/315 yard skein)So I know it was definitely less than 150 yards because there was less than half the skein in my stash, plus I ended up having some left. I'm sorry I didn't track it better, I didn't think the hat would turn out as good as it did. I do plan on making another very soon (just waiting on an order of yarn) so I will update with proper yardage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love it. I have to try this. Will go up a hook size because I do crochet tight. Thank you.

      Delete
  3. I'm having a bit of an issue with part when the single crochet comes in. Do I sc in every chain space as well as every stitch? I got up to the single crochet decrease and the opening of my hat is so small that.. it would probably only fit a baby haha. I'm not sure what part I messed up on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uh oh...well I can try to help as much as possible :)
    Yes you do sc in every chain space and every (top of dc) stitch. When you work the decrease you work 1 sc2tog and then sc in the next 13 stitches and then work another sc2tog then sc in the next 13 stitches......and so on. You might have possible miscounted maybe..? I know I have a lot of trouble then it comes to counting a bunch of stitches I usually lose track. Also this pattern is meant for yarns that have a bit of stretch so if you're using a stiff or cotton yarn it will affect it a bit.

    Let me know if your still having trouble and I can try to figure out the problem :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made a chain mesh hat for my sister a few years ago but I haven't been able to find the pattern again. Thanks for posting this pattern. It's even better than the chain mesh one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Me again. Just wanted you to know that I started making this hat and decided to do a little detouring. Instead of doing a dc in the dc, I am doing a bpdc (back post double crochet). It gives it a cute little ridge around the outside of each row.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I would love to see it! If you have the chance would you mind putting the picture up on the Ravelry project page once your done? I tried fpdc when I first was making the pattern but I didn't even think of doing bpdc!

      Delete
  7. Alright, that's definitely where I messed up then because I only did a sc in the stitches, not in the chain spaces. I finally have time this weekend to fix it, thank you for being so prompt with a reply!

    ReplyDelete
  8. On the beginning of the decrease round, are we supposed to sc in the same stitch as the beginning ch 1 or skip it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. You sc in the same stitch as beginning ch 1 :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for this great pattern! I made one for myself, and I've posted pictures on Ravelry and on my blog at http://athenahandmade.blogspot.com/2012/07/summer-hippy-hat.html with a link back here. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Instead of single crocheting and decreasing in the same row, my first row of single crochets were straight with no decreasing. I started single crocheting 2 together when I was done with the first row. I think it made that transition a little easier.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I made the spider web slouchy hat using Joann's Sensations in black...and it is lovely! Great pattern..and I will use it again!

    TracyAnn from www.crochethappy.com

    I've posted it with my own photos both on my website and blog. here are the links:

    http://www.crochethappy.com/crochet-patterns-halloween.html

    http://asktracyann.crochethappy.com/2012/10/fo-fasten-off-friday.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. A little confused at the beginning... do you have any pictures of your first 2-4 rows of crochet?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Could you please tell me what sc2tog mean.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you! I need to wear hats or hairnets at my new job as a cake decorator. I'm thinkin' hats are the best of those options LOL This one looks like it will be cute but light enough that my head won't roast :) Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. i like it...i'm in the process of making this cute beret...thank you so much for this awesome pattern

    ReplyDelete
  18. You say, crochet "into the top" of the dc from previous row. Do you mean in the front loop only? or back loop only?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am also confused about this. can someone who has done it clarify?

      Delete
  19. Hey, thank you so much for the pattern. However, mine kept coming out cone shaped until I realized that the number of rows on the pattern vs the pictures was different. The pattern calls for 12 rows when you chain 3 and add 11 dc to the magic circle (12). However, the pictures all show 18 rows. When I amended that I needed to chain 3 and add 17 dc to the magic circle, my project came out flat and came out looking alot more like the example pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You start out with 12 DC in the ring then in the second step you increase to 18. You DC into the same st 6 times totaling up to 18 sections.

      Delete
  20. just found this pattern and I don't understand the 1st of it. I guess I don't know how to make an adjustable ring. Does it mean to make a ring out of the 1st ch 3? After that I think I got it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can make the standard chain ring and it will work as well but it leaves a gap compared to the magic ring. I advise you to lookup how to do the magic ring.

      Delete
  21. An adjustable loop is also called the "Magic Loop", look it up on the net.
    I love this pattern and it works up quickly and takes less than a skein of worsted wt yarn. I had to make 2 extra increase chain rows to fit family with "Big" hair. I also adjusted the finishing rows of sc to fit. The 2nd row always throws me even after making a couple of hats. It would be easier to read the increase row something like this, *dbl, ch1, ( dbl, ch, dbl) in same st, ch1* around. Thanks for the free pattern, I luv it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback. I had only been doing crochet for a few month when I wrote this so I wasn't able to put it in the easiest of term yet.

      Delete
  22. Hello, I don't know if you still get on this account or not, but I was wondering if we were allowed to sell the finished product? On like etsy or something. If you could reply that would be great c:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome to sell any item to make using any of my patterns. All I ask is that you please put a small credit link to my blog. Thanks!!

      Delete
  23. I love this hat! Worked it up last night in About 2 hours. I did a back post stich on the dc and it gives it a little different look. Took about half off a 4.5oz ball for those wondering how much yarn it takes, used a med weight 4ply loops and threads impeccable.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi I used your pattern :) didn't turn out as neat and pretty as yours but I love it

    ReplyDelete
  25. Pls can you rewrite the pattern. I love it but mine is very small due to the type of wool I am using. I am a Nigerian and wool here is not as bulky as your wool, it is very skinny. Thanks in advance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try making it again with two strands of your skinny yarn held together and a G or H hook and it will come out a lot bigger :)

      Delete
  26. I made this hat pattern with added black plastic spiders as part of a halloween costume. I love this pattern and will be crocheting more in cool spring/summer colors for my nieces to wear. Thank you for a simple, yet elegant free pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Do you have this pattern in printable form? When printing from the website it comes out so light and small it is not readable. Would like to carry it with me. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I made this and I loved it! However it was a tad large even for my large noggin. How can I make it smaller? Use an F hook? Remove rows?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suggest using a smaller hook or chaining a little tighter. Best of luck!

      Delete
  29. I thought it was going to be some boring old post, but it really compensated for my time. I will post a link to this page on my blog. I am sure my visitors will find that very useful.

    Handmade Hats in NYC & luxury Hat in NY

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love this hat but this pattern ends up with a really small band for your head! I went up to 10 chains and decreased down to about 6 to give it a little extra slouch. I just kind of wung it with the band size since my head is larger. When doing sc2tog, just do as many as you need to decrease enough to fit around your head.

    ReplyDelete
  31. It had been an amazing experience to go to this amazing site along with investigate posts along with subject matter.

    High end Hats & luxury hat in NY

    ReplyDelete
  32. At what point in the pattern can you add more rows to make it longer? Im interested in making it for a friend who has long dreadlocks. (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can "work even" which means repeating the row right before the decrease until you get closer to your desired length. Best of luck!

      Delete
  33. It would be super awesome if you would make a tutorial video :) I think it would help lots of ppl :) your hat looks amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I would love to BUT I'm left handed so for 90% of people the video would look backwards ;)

      Delete
  34. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I enjoyed creating this hat. I was looking for three days for this exact pattern, thanks so much

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed the pattern! Thanks!

      Delete
    2. hey i am suraj running martclub.in, i read your blogs it look interesting, do you want to Exchange backlinks with my website

      Delete
  36. I am just learning to crochet and would love it if you could post a how-to video to follow along! Please, please, please?!
    Val

    ReplyDelete
  37. I'm confused right now. This is exactly what I would like to make for the summer but the instructions aren't by row except for the magic circle of dc's. I'm used to rounds to be in by rows and then it's more accurate when to start decreasing and what row the band should start on. Hope you're still active here. Is there anyway for you to rewrite or give a number of rows the decrease starts and what row the band should start on? Thank you in advnace.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Do you skip a st when you *dc, chain 2* ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You skip to the next dc on the previous row for the spider web effect. It's always dc-on-dc.

      Delete
  39. Do you skip a st when you *dc, chain 2* ?

    ReplyDelete
  40. This pattern was awesome! Thanks so much for sharing it. Your post has motivated me to find out how to make my own patterns so thanks for that! It turned out lovely and was easily one of my favorite things that I created as a beginner. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Do you have a newsletter
    I love yoour designs I can't wait to make some of them myself
    Thank
    Dar

    ReplyDelete
  42. Love this, but I learn so much better with visual instructions, do You have a video of the hat in the making,, I am just not getting it from written instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  43. What an informative topic that was! But I would like to help you and shed more light on the topic. I would like to recommend a company that provides reliable and flexible online pharmacy app development solutions as per different business requirements. Alteza, a leading company that provides readymade and custom solutions for different pharmacy business ideas

    ReplyDelete
  44. Great... EMedStore holds an upper hand in Mobile App Development. We make online pharmacy app development that will give the advantage of consultation anytime and anywhere for your.

    ReplyDelete