Ads

This site may use cookies, third-party analytics or an advertising service. By continuing to use this site you are consenting to this use.

This advertising service is crucial to keeping all of my patterns offered for free.

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Bolero / Shrug to Match the "Perfect Purse by Lion Brand Yarn"

FLASH! Sorry for the crappy quality, I had to do a mirror shot.
What it looks like from behind


This super simple bolero shrug is designed to match the "Perfect Purse" pattern that is offered free by Lion Brand Yarn here. I made the clutch purse a couple weeks ago and knew I would want something to match it (I'm very into matching items) so I figured might as well make a shrug to match it. It would be perfect to pair together with a dress for a lunch date or wedding. You could also pair them with jeans and a tank for a cute casual spring/summer outfit. It helps if you have already made the purse because you will be familiar with working with the shells in the pattern. Also if you have already made the purse you know that you do rows of SC and the work the shell pattern. For this you do the same thing except you add rows of sc at the end also. This shrug is super easy to make because it is just a big rectangle that is sewn together at the ends.
A shot of the shells on my arm
To start you need to figure out how big your rectangle needs to be. Measure the size of your arm circumference about halfway between your shoulder and your elbow. This will be the width of your rectangle. (I added an inch just to make sure it's not to tight around the arm) Now, measure the length between that space on your left arm and the same spot on your right arm. This will be your length.

Add this shrug to your Ravelry library!


Shrug: 

Use a G/4.25Hook
You need to chain multiples of 5 +3 (just like the purse pattern)
Row 1: Sc in 2nd ch from hook and each ch across.
Row 2: Ch 1, turn. Sc in each st across.  
Row 3: Ch 3 (counts as 1st dc), sk next sc, work 1 dc in next sc, *sk 4 sc, (dc, ch 1, dc, ch 1, dc, ch 1, dc) in next st – Shell made; rep from * across, end last rep sk 4 sc, 2 dc in last sc.
Next Row: Ch 3, turn. Sk next dc, dc in next dc, *work Shell in center ch-1 space of Shell; rep from * across, end 2 dc in last dc.
Rep last row until piece measures the length you need
Next Row: Ch 1, turn. Sc in next 3 stitches, Sc2tog in 4th stitch, repeat across
Next Row: Repeat the last row
Fasten off.

You now have a rectangle piece. Fold it in half so that you have a long, skinny rectangle now. Start at one short end and stitch inward the same length as it takes to get from the part of your arm that you measured to your armpit. Now cut your yarn and weave in that end and repeat on the other side. Your rectangle now has two sewn ends, making tubes on either side for the sleeves. Put it on to test the fit. Now you will want to add more of a "rim" to the shrug, it makes it look more polished and also help hide the awkward point where the armpit is and it was sewn together.

Rim:
Row 1: To do this you want to start with a slipknot on your hook and slip stitch into the stitch in the armpit area, work sc in each st. across, slip st to join.
For the 3-5 stitches that are directly in the armpit area that goes to a "point" (where it was sewn together) you will want to do HDC in those for the next 2 rows
Row 2: Ch 1, Sc in each st. across (except for hdc in armpit)
Row 3:  Repeat last row
Row 4: SC in each st. across (you do not need to hdc in armpit)
You can fasten off OR continue to repeat the rows until the rim is as wide as you would like

Finished Shrug

 Now you have an awesome little shrug to match your clutch purse!
Effortless outfit :)



12 comments:

  1. This looks brill! I have a black and white dress to wear to a wedding, and am aiming to make the accessories myself (times are tough, so needs must!). I have instructions on how to make a mini top hat, and now - thanks to you - I have instructions to make a matching bolero and handbag too. I just have to decide which colour to go for now!

    Thanks very much for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your very welcome! I know how that is...that's why I love crochet, you can make so many accessories yourself in any color. I hope you enjoy the pattern! :)

      Delete
  2. I need a little help with the measurements. :) When determining the length do you measure from your arm, up the arm, across the top of the shoulders and back down to the other arm, or do you go from the arm, across your back to the other arm? I LOVE this shrug though! I just made one as kind of a "test run" to figure out measurements, as I'm making one for a friend who lives on the other side of the country, and won't be able to measure as I go for her. Unfortunately, I think I goofed a bit, because it didn't fit me. The good news is that it looks FABULOUS on one of my neighbors, who is thrilled with her new "pretty." :) Thanks for the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you do measure from the arm up and across the shoulders over to the other arm. I'm glad you like the pattern :) I've had that so many times where a hat or something didn't fit properly so I give it to someone who can use it...unexpected gift giving haha.

      Delete
  3. In the next to last row of the shrug instructions, what do you repeat: the sc2tog or the sc 3 then sc2tog? And do you use dc only to stitch into, or the dc and the ch1 space?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You repeat sc in next 3 stitches, sc2tog in 4th stitch across, you want to work into the dc and the ch space. If you need anymore help just let me know :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the way it turned out! What kind and brand of yarn did you use? I've attempted this a few times and it hasn't turned out as lovely as yours :S At the very start, how many chains did you make? Just wonderin' cause we seem about the same size lol thanks in advance! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I used Red Heart Super Saver for mine which is a medium worsted weight yarn. I chained 103, with ch 103 you will have 20 shells going across. :)

      Delete
  6. Is the shrug crocheted from left to right (sleeve to sleeve), or up and down (neck to mid back)? Not sure if my question makes sense but I can't think of another way to put it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was looking for a pattern to make a shrug than I saw yours on raverly and I totally love it!! Right now I am in the middle of a "Luna Lovegood scarf" (awesome pattern also) and 2 other project but definitely came up to my list.
    I would be glad to show you the result so I think I will upload a photo to raverly if you do not mind.
    Thank you again!! Have a nice day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. can you give a hint how many chains for med size womens

    ReplyDelete
  9. Where can I find the pattern for the little clutch in the picture?

    ReplyDelete